Carrie Muskat says Cubs and Orioles are still talking.

skiba7

She's a beat writer for the Cubs who handles the mailbag questions on mlb.com. Here's what she had to say in today's mailbag:

Are the Cubs still pursuing Brian Roberts or were they scared off by the steroids? He is exactly what they need to make a strong challenge (apart from a center fielder who can hit). Roberts can lead off, steal, hit for average and field. They should have enough pitchers to make the deal happen.

-- Dan W., Naples, Fla.

The Cubs and Orioles are still talking, but some of the players mentioned recently are not involved, so don't believe the rumors. Keep in mind that Roberts is a favorite of Orioles owner Peter Angelos, who blocked a trade last year that involved the second baseman. The Mitchell Report revelations are not the holdup -- it's just a matter of finding the right match for both teams, and the reports out of Baltimore are that Orioles general manager Andy MacPhail has very specific requests.

The Cubs don't need a second baseman because they have Mark DeRosa. But one thing Cubs manager Lou Piniella learned in his first season in Chicago is that players like Aramis Ramirez and Derrek Lee need more days off, and DeRosa's versatility makes him a valuable fill-in at those spots as well as the outfield. What Piniella wants is more speed and another left-handed bat, and the switch-hitting Roberts could provide that.

As for center field, the Cubs head into Spring Training with Felix Pie and Sam Fuld contending for the starting spot. There is another candidate. Read on.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080113&content_id=2344931&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She's a beat writer for the Cubs who handles the mailbag questions on mlb.com. Here's what she had to say in today's mailbag:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080113&content_id=2344931&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

Instead of saying what the trade doesn't involve, why doesn't she say what it does involve?

I guess the fact that they are talking is good news......

who knows what in the H is going on at this stage.

so much misinformation, rumors of board buzzing and the occassional 'Team X' is reportedly interested in someone on the Orioles not named Gibbons.

McPhail said he wanted to wrap some of this stuff before the end of the month. Let's see who he chooses to do business with!

Anybody else starting to get the feeling Bedard might be going to the Cubs?

I doubt it. If he does, I honestly don't think Roberts is going to the Cubs. The Cubs, IMO have enough for one or the other, but definitely not both. Maybe something like:

Bedard

for

Pie, Cedeno, EPat, Gallagher, and Wuertz

Do that and then deal BRob to the Indians for Adam Miller and Andy Marte. You get your 2B, SS, 3B, and CF of the future as well as 2 quality SP prospects (including one 5 star prospect) and a ML ready reliever.

I doubt it. If he does, I honestly don't think Roberts is going to the Cubs. The Cubs, IMO have enough for one or the other, but definitely not both. Maybe something like:

Bedard

for

Pie, Cedeno, EPat, Gallagher, and Wuertz

Do that and then deal BRob to the Indians for Adam Miller and Andy Marte. You get your 2B, SS, 3B, and CF of the future as well as 2 quality SP prospects (including one 5 star prospect) and a ML ready reliever.

Bedard for Colvin, Murton, Cedeno, Gallagher, Marshall.

What an awful trade for the Orioles.

The Cubs don't have enough...If they don't start the offer with Pie and Hill, no deal can be made.

And as you've mentioned, it'd be pointless for the Cubs to trade Hill for Bedard.

Still, I have no doubt Bedard will be traded, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if MacPhail uses the Cubs as a last resort.

What an awful trade for the Orioles.

The Cubs don't have enough...If they don't start the offer with Pie and Hill, no deal can be made.

You guys are really overrating Bedard. He is a very good pitcher, but he isn't worth a Rich Hill, who this year, IMO, will be just as good, or better than Bedard.

Pie, I would put in, but I would remove Gallagher.

Bedard for Colvin, Murton, Cedeno, Gallagher, Marshall.

Absolutely no way Bedard goes if we don't get back Pie, and then the Cubs would still be hard-pressed to put a deal together.

Bedard for Pie, Colvin, E-Pat, Cedeno, and Gallagher. I'm not even sure if that would get it done.

Archived